Friday, January 18, 2008

Channelling the potty gods . . .

Yesterday, I decided that I would try again to potty-train Annie. This was the 4,587th time I decided that we would try. Each time I've tried, Annie and I were both reduced to tears. The last time I tried, she literally ran out of the bathroom screaming "No more potty, no more potty," ran crying upstairs, tore off her panties in exchange for a pull-up and promptly peed into the diaper.

This morning was a normal morning, but instead of changing out of her pull-up into a diaper, I convinced her it would be fun to put on some pretty panties. I told her that there were no more pull-ups (I hid them this time - way out of reach) and that she had to be a big girl and go pee-pee in the potty. I was a little incredulous, but we went forward.

She picked out panties and a few hours later I saw her doing the pee-pee dance and holding herself. I happened to be on the phone with Colleen, planning our weekend. I promptly told Annie to go potty, quick!! Guess what? She did!! She peed in the potty.

Did everyone hear that???

Annie peed in the potty!!!!!!!

And then she did it again, and again, and again. And then she pooped. In. The. Potty.

And there were no tears, no fussing. You better believe she has been rewarded with every kind of chocolate. We have a new chart that says after 10 pees she gets to pick out a "big" candy bar and after 20 she gets to go to Cabellas (they have an aquarium, a shooting gallery and a museum full of dead creatures - she loves it there, and it's virtually free).

Guess what she just did? SHE JUST ASKED ME TO GO POTTY!!!!

I don't know if everyone gets how monumental this is!!!!!!!

I'm very, very proud.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

GO ANNIE, GO ANNIE, GO ANNIE!! see we just have to let these girls make it "their own idea"... sheeeesh! if Teenage years are harder than these potty training woes i'm going to need some heavy duty drugs!
good job!
luv ya