Monday, January 14, 2008

Nanny's legacy


I had the privilege of knowing all of my great-grandmothers. In fact, three of my great-grandmothers lived until I was in college. While they were all different, they were all amazing in their own ways.

Nanny was my great-grandmother on my father's father's side. I've been thinking a lot about Nanny lately. She only had one child (my grandpa Jack) and she still has an amazing legacy. She was always so much fun to be around and we always knew she loved us and wanted us to be happy.

She also made the most amazing scrambled eggs (I've since learned it has to do with her high butter to egg ratio - those crazy French!), let us eat Lucky Charms for breakfast, and she was always working with her hands. She was usually crocheting something for her church group - but I don't remember ever getting a gift from her that didn't include a set of crocheted slippers with a huge pom-pom on the toe (only if you were a girl - boys only got a little bow). They were the best slippers and I wish I still had a pair.

She gave me a couple of colorful blankets before I left for college, and I love them and use them. A couple of years before she died, she gave all her older great-granddaughters a doll with a beautifully crocheted dress and hat. Mine was purple and pink - and while I was a little confused at why I got a doll when I was "old," I accepted it and have loved having it.

During the move, the doll was put in a box with our winter clothes. Since we haven't used the heavy winter clothes much since we've been here, I forgot about the doll. We had to get into the box this weekend when we went to take the youth to the snow - and there she was, prettier than I remembered.

Annie saw the doll and squealed a little and said "I love her, Mama! I love her!" She grabbed the doll and gave her a huge hug and a kiss. She took the purse off the doll and put it on her little arm. She asked me what her name was. I told her that she was a special doll that was made by my Nanny and that she could name her. She promptly came up with Connie Strawberry.

I was thinking about how the four girls that all have these dolls all now have girls of our own.

I hope all the dolls have names now.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Nannie would be thrilled to see our Annie loving something she made. What I know she is more proud of is Annie. Remember how she used look at the family all together for a holiday or just for dinner and say "all this - from just on baby". She was certain that all her progency were superior in every way.

Unknown said...

i'm jealous! i had mine a mint green and peach same as annie's.. KayLea did play with it a bit but then it got distroyed by moisture and mold.. so we had to give it the boot! i think of Nanny lots she's pretty much the only person who i have sensory memory's about.. the smell of Lucky Charms (bet you didn't know they had a distinct smell hua?)
anyway thanks for taking me down memory lane!