I really love Windex. It's not to the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" level yet, but it might just get there. I have black granite countertops that I love, but they show every micro-ounce of dust and detrius. I use copious amounts of Windex, several times a day, to keep them gleaming. I would be fine with using the cheap generic brand, but as it turns out, the blue stuff leaves a film on my countertops. So for the past year I have spent $3 a bottle on the namebrand clear Windex . . . with vinegar. A bottle lasts a little more than a week (see . . . I really am in love).
Consumer Reports happened to run a report about window cleaners and which ones were most effective. They said Windex was the best, but that if you didn't have baked on, crusty, cherry-pie filling/old egg/smoke on your windows, that a homemade version of Windex worked just fine.
So I made it yesterday and I'm in love all over again. I can make a gallon for about $1, and it's stuff I normally have around the house anyways. Here's the recipe . . .
Homemade Windex
1/2 cup sudsy ammonia (I couldn't find anything that had this label in the store - I know I've seen it before, I just need to find out where - but I just used the Parson's lemon ammonia that we use on our floors)
1 pint (2 cups) isopropal alcohol
1 tsp dish soap
Dump all this into a gallon container and fill the rest with water. Put into old Windex containers and nobody will ever know that you made it yourself.
Even with the yellow ammonia (which I am trying to correct), it still turns out pretty clear and doesn't seem to leave the residue. I used a clear dish soap, but it probably doesn't matter what kind you use.
Yea for Consumer Reports, ahem, I mean, my genius.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, you go through a lot of Windex. I'm impressed! Thanks for the tip on the do-it-yourself recipe. I love stuff like that!
Post a Comment